I picked up a book recently about how now is the time to cash in on your passion; how to use social media to promote your personal brand.
Essentially the premise of the book is:
- Pretty much everyone should quit their job,
- Discover your passion and blog (text, video or audio) about it, no matter what the passion is,
- Build your personal brand through social networking site,
- Work hard and hustle,
- Opportunities and cash will start rolling in due to the magic of the Internet, and
- If I did it, so can you, "I guarantee it".
Everyone can make a great living doing this? Guaranteed? What a load of crap.
There is no magic formula for getting rich. And if there was, no one would share it with you via a book, because it would no longer be a magic formula for getting rich.
Yes, the Internet has changed the game. Yes, social media is important. Yes, you should always be thinking of your personal brand. Yes, you should be promoting your business brand. Yes, some people are making money in the ways the author describes.
But do what I did and get rich?
The things in common about most business and personal success stories are:
- There is nothing truly in common,
- You can be successful in a multitude of ways,
- Most success is a result of a combination of talent, hard work, perseverance and sometimes luck; but not always.
In starting or running a business, there are things you can do that will make it more likely for your business to succeed. Not doing certain things can make failure more likely. But there is no one answer.
Did I learn something from the book?
Yes, and I will continue to read and learn from others. But I do know there are no guarantees.
Not even writing a book about "Do What I Did and Get Rich".